Thursday 24 March 2011

3)

3) What kind of media institution might distribute your media product? Why?
As I have previously noted, my magazine is somewhere between NME and Billboard, having big names of artists inside but also featuring new up-and-coming bands of the UK. The institution that might take my magazine on could be the same owner of NME magazine; they claim to be the most well-known and iconic music magazine in the UK. I think my magazine gives off similar vibe to NME magazine on the inside and outside, the cover always features a particular band or artist and the inside gives a double page spread about them; my magazine also features other topics such as festival line-ups etc. which is what NME allow as well.

This is an example of an NME magazine, featuring The Vaccines;


Institution of magazines consists of production, distribution, exhibition, ownership, profits, funding and audience. I have researched these over the AS course and have compared them to NME magazine;
Because the magazine has been around for a long time, the original idea doesn't need to be pitched to anyone; however the person designing the cover would have to pitch their design to the NME team and they would decide whether to print it or not - I did a similar thing when I created my magazine, I asked around my friends and other students at school about their opinions on my magazine, I used Facebook, Twitter and verbally asking them.

As NME magazine has been around for more than 50 years it is an incredibly successful magazine; in the 1960's the magazine company were producing and selling over 200,000 copies of NME a week, this was only when they had been around for roughly 10 years. By the 70's the sales had decreased to 60,000 copies which was fatal for an up and coming magazine; however they regained themselves by 1973 reaching a phenomenal 300,000 a week.
Krissi Murison is the current editor of NME magazine and it also a British music journalist, she has had this role since 2009 and continues it to the present day. The magazine costs £2.30 to buy in England; this is an exceptional cost for such a famous and successful music magazine, my coursework magazine costs a similar price - this is where I took the idea from to make it affordable to a wider range of people than expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment